How to design a fireplace and embellish it with grace! – Tips from Radvi!
The very moment we talk of human evolution, we talk of fire too. Stories get told about how the fire came to life. People speak about how fire helped us talk to lords and deities. Fire is very dear to us. It has forged the very way humans lived. Where it first seemed like a giant demon trying to eat everything in the Jungle, there it later got controlled by humans too. Now, we capture fire in the fireplace, says Radvi. But, not all fireplaces spill the same warmth and ease around.
So, how can you design a fireplace at your home and serve it grace?
Tips from Radvi on how to design a fireplace!
When it comes to the fireplace, there are things that one needs to take care of. For example, you will have to look if it is safe. You will also look if it has a color that is harmonizing with the aura.
But, before we talk about the fireplace, it is better to delve a little into its purpose!
The connection of fireplace with mind and body and soul!
There are certain things in the world that please our senses. There is a reason why the sweet rustling in a vernal noon sends us high into ecstasy. It relaxes our minds and makes us feel light. The same is true about fire too. We have an evolution of using fire and staying around it at happy times – the times of food and warmth. Humans used to sit around the burning wood and cook over it, sing around it, and share memories. And in the past many centuries the fireplace was the prime source of heat in the house. Such is the impact that the human brain took the sound of a crackling fire as a sign of happy times around.
Although today we do not cook over burning woods, we still keep fireplaces at our homes, says Radvi. This fireplace does the same work of weaving our minds with ease and joy. We sit around it still, hear the crackling noise, see the warm leaps of flames, share memories, and much more.
So, how does this wonderful thing work after all?
The working of a fireplace, its anatomy, and use!
In the old days, fireplaces used to work differently as there was not much science involved. But now there is a proper structure that makes it work efficiently. The general working principle of a fireplace is that the warm air rises up taking smoke out of the fireplace. As smoke gets out, the warm air radiates some heat back into the room. But as the fire slowly starts dying, it starts pulling in the warm air from the room too. The fireplace usually gets turned closed to prevent the warmth inside from escaping out.
Here is a brief guide into the different parts of the fireplace –
- Hearth – It is the floor part of the fireplace that gets projected outside into the room. The main purpose of hearth is to prevent the firewood, sparks, embers, etc. from charring the room.
- Firebox – The portion of the fireplace that holds the wood and burns it down. It gets built over the back section of the hearth. People either use masonry or metal for such purposes.
- Fireplace surround – Also called Chimneypiece or Mantelpiece is the outer portion of the fireplace that surrounds the firebox and faces people. It is often decorative and sees changes in art from year to year. Radvi says that what is in trend could fall old later on.
- Flue – It is the chimney pipe that helps the smoke escape out of the room. This also controls the air flow into the fireplace using a damper inside, which is like a plate.
- Zero-clearance fireplace – Also called Prefab Fireplace, is the fireplace that comes readymade and just needs the installation. On the other hand, a Masonry Fireplace gets built using masons like in the old days. It requires a door that often stays outside the wall.
- Breast – It is the front face of the fireplace, from top to down, that faces people.
Now, as you know the different terms, it is time to know the different types of fireplaces to choose from.
Different types of fireplaces to choose from!
Now, it all comes down to what type of fireplace you can have into your home or villa. Know that the designs might get changed, while the fundamentals will remain the same. All that you need to create a gracious fireplace is creativity and function, says Radvi.
Here are the different types of fireplaces that people often use in their homes.
As soothing is the alliteration, as easiness it provides to people. Flush-face fireplace has a breast that has a simple hue and is less decorative. It is often used in minimal architecture. Sometimes the flush-face even does not have a chimneypiece. It is plain and simple where the front wall gets flushed with some color.
The breast in the projecting fireplace projects out of the wall. This type of fireplace can take shape of a contemporary version or vintage version.
The Hooded Fireplace has the breast out of the main wall. Furthermore, the flue too projects slightly out with an angle. The lower portion remains more outward than the upper portion of the flue. The difference between a normal and hooded fireplace is the same as the difference between the front of a bus and a truck. In a truck, the engine projects out.
A Corner Fireplace, says Radvi, is generally tougher to place. It lays challenges in structure, flue placement, and the placement of furniture around because of being in the corner. It might lead to an imbalance in elements of the room if not designed rightly.
How to choose the colors for fireplace?
Radvi says, choosing the right color is as important as choosing the right fireplace. You need to work around colors, their combination, and their impact. However, there are few things that can help you lead towards the right color for your fireplace –
- The fireplace must go with the style of the room or the interior design of the room. Look for a common color and try to match the palette.
- Make sure the color you choose is not creating a sense of disharmony.
- If you want your fireplace to stand out, choose a bold color that contrasts the room.
Choosing the right color requires trial and error for a novice. You may want to talk to an interior designer and get yourself consulted if you are finding it hard. Click here to know about Radvi and see if it can help you in your warm dream.